In 1968, OS Marina and adjacent property sell for $1 million


March 26, 1943

Roy Hale, 16, and his sister, Rosie, 13, arrived in Aberdeen and were reunited with their parents yesterday after leaving their home in Nolan, West Virginia. The children had been staying with relatives in Nolan after their father got a job at West Coast Plywood and mother started working at Grays Harbor Chair Co. six months ago.

The children were put on the wrong train to begin their trip, missed their train connection in Chicago and ended up sitting up all night for practically the entire five day trip.

But last night they slept the “sleep of the just” or those just “plain worn out” and this morning were taking care of “Ole Miss Appetite” like any healthy growing children. Mom and Dad had a good night’s sleep too after worrying considerably the whole time their children were traveling.

March 27, 1943

Long lines of would-be meat shoppers formed in today’s pre-dawn darkness in some cities to lead a virtually nationwide rush for the dwindling supplies remaining before rationing control is imposed in two days.

At Columbus, Ohio, where customers’ lines began forming as early as 1:30 a.m., 18 policemen were sent to one market to control the crowd. And in Cleveland, an estimated 50,000 persons milled around three major markets, delaying street car traffic from so minutes to an hour.

March 29, 1943

Fire believed to have been started by sparks from a welding operation, caused damage estimated at from $8,000 to $10,000 early last night at the E.K. Bishop mill, Junction City, halting operation of the plant temporarily.

Workmen yesterday were engaged in welding a part of the big crane and it is believed that a fragment of heated metal smoldered in sawdust and caused the fire to start several hours later. The plant had been “wet down” after completion of the welding operation but apparently the water failed to cool the metal spark.

The plant’s big crane, a portion of the resaw mill and the yard were damaged.

March 30, 1943

With the Hoquiam Eagles lodge last night honoring aerie veterans of 30 years or more, Superior Judge William E. Campbell reminisced of early days of Hoquiam.

He said the first Grays Harbor settlers were cattle ranchers and their ranges extended from Montesano to Point Grenville. He told of George Emerson’s coming to Hoquiam in 1881, construction of the first mill in 1882 and the Simpson shipyard which turned out the first schooner, Pioneer.

March 31, 1943

It used to be that little girls cried over broken dollies, but little Nancy Couture, pupil at Raymond’s Ninth street school, had something more serious to cry about. At first she cried because she was sad. Then she cried because she was happy.

You see, when a very small girl buys a $25 war savings bond all by herself, that is something to be proud and happy about. But when she loses it, that is something to be very unhappy about. So Nancy had good cause for her tears Friday when she lost the bond.

The whole Ninth street and high school student body sympathized with Nancy and make a thorough search for the missing bond. It was eventually found on the school bus between school and her home and was returned to Nancy. Now the students, including Nancy, are pretty happy.


March 27, 1968

The current membership drive to start the proposed Pacific Surf Golf and Country Club — to be located between Pacific Beach and Moclips — has reached the 60 percent mark, with some 300 North Beach area people having signed pledges for the club.

Total cost of the project is estimated at $450,000, the money, obtained from an FHA loan, would be paid back over a 40-year period at five percent interest.

March 30, 1968

Ocean Shores marina and charter fishing base and 13 acres of adjacent waterfront property have been sold for $1,000,000, it was announced today by Leck Miller, general manager of the big resort area.

The price matches exactly the amount paid for the entire Ocean Shores peninsula when it was purchased as an undeveloped cattle ranch, in 1960. The marina, including all restaurants, moorage and fueling facilities was sold by Ocean Shores Estates, Inc., to the newly formed group — Ocean Shores Marina Properties.

April 1, 1968

Some 20,400 people, all in a carnival mood, visited last weekend’s three-day Home Products Show at the Bayview Lumber store in Cosmopolis, Albert Druzianigh, Bayview spokesman said today. “Everyone was impressed with the friendliness of the salesmen and the factory representatives,” he said. “Sales were real good, also.”


March 26, 1993

Irvine T. Seath, a versatile reporter and editor whose career stretched from Linotype machines to laserprinters, died Thursday night at Grays Harbor Community Hospital. He was 77.

Seath joined The Aberdeen Daily World in 1944 and retired 38 years later. In 1960, he was promoted to news editor, which meant he handled all AP and UPI stories and designed the front page. He was a stickler for spelling, “style” and grammar.

He and Ade Frederickson, the managing editor, were the newsroom’s “Odd Couple.” As deadline approached, Seath would grow frantic, prodding reporters and making numerous sorties into the composing room to swap insults with the foreman. Irv mother-henned the clattering teletypes and muttered while unruffled Ade, puffed his pipe and looked on with bemusement.

“Irv,” he’d say, “we always get out on time. Don’t worry.”

“Yes,” said Irv. “And it’s because I worry!”

March 28, 1993

Ron Tagman had a homecoming of sorts last week.

After serving 17 years in the postal service at Aberdeen, Tagman returned to his home town of Montesano to serve as the city’s 16th postmaster.

“I’m very happy to be home,” said Tagman, a lifelong Monte resident. “To become the postmaster of your own home town has to be one of the fulfilling goals of a career in the postal service. You see, I love this community.”

Tagman’s wife, Linda, works at the Aberdeen post office. They couple has two grown children.

March 29, 1993

Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy says his firsthand look at a timber community and a chat with its leaders convince him it’s time to resolve the debate over logging in the Northwest.

Espy was in Aberdeen and Hoquiam for about three hours Sunday to “listen, look and learn and to see what I can see so I can report to President Clinton” before Friday’s forest conference in Portland.

Hoquiam Mayor Phyllis Shrauger, who learned today that she is one of the participants invited to the conference table with Clinton, said, “I told (Epsy) that as far as my city is concerned they are too late. The bomb has already dropped,” referring to the closure of the ITT Rayonier/International Paper Co. complex.

March 30, 1993

• A federal mediator stepped in Monday to head off a strike at Oakhurst Convalescent Center in Elma. Union officials reset the strike deadline to 5 a.m. Thursday.

The 11th hour move marks the second time the union, which represents about 140 Oakhurst employees, has delayed a walk-out since it threatened a strike in February. Union officials say employees make an average of $5.90 a hour and the existing health plan costs about $240 a month with the center footing $89 of that.

• Academy Award winners announced last night: Best Picture, “Unforgiven;” Best Actress Emma Thompson for “Howard’s End;” Best Actor Al Pacino for “Scent of a Woman;” Best Director, Clint Eastwood for “Unforgiven.”

March 31, 1993

Two men armed with sawed-off shotguns robbed the Timberland Savings Bank in Hoquiam last night. Twice.

No one was injured and the suspects made off with a grocery bag of bills in various denominations and color.

Hoquiam Police and the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office say the two suspects are well-known to their departments. No arrests have been made. There are no plans to make arrests.

If you haven’t already guessed, these weren’t your normal, run-of-the-mill bank robber. It was cops playing robbers.

Hoquiam police joined detectives from the sheriff’s office to stage the robberies as part of a security workshop for about 30 employees at Timberland. First the employees watched a short videotape giving tips about how to deal with a robbery. Then they were divided into two groups for two simulated robberies.

Though bank robbery has been a rare crime on the Harbor, it never hurts to be prepared, said Karin Fry, the branch’s vice president for security. She requested the program, remembering one that had been done a few years ago in Ocean Shores.

April 1, 1993

Ray Lorton, who helped transform Quinault into a Pacific League boys’ basketball powerhouse, has resigned after 10 years as Elks’ coach.

Lorton will continue as the district’s superintendent.

The 44-year-old Lorton cited job and family responsibilities as primary factors in his decision. He and his wife, Kathy, recently adopted a baby boy. Lorton also was elected to the Quinault Tribal Council last month.

Lorton is a graduate of South Bend High School and Central Washington University. He succeeded Del Dungey as the Elks’ coach in 1983, following a five year stint at Taholah.

Compiled from the archives of The Daily World by Karen Barkstrom