Woman jumps from Chehalis River Bridge

Hours after a man jumped off the Wishkah River Bridge in East Aberdeen, Aberdeen Police Department personnel were called to a similar incident on the Chehalis River Bridge that prompted a response from multiple agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard.

“At approximately 11:22 p.m. (Tuesday), an Aberdeen Police officer observed a female jump off the Chehalis River Bridge,” said Aberdeen Police Cmdr. Dale Green. “Aberdeen Police officers, an officer from the Cosmopolis Police Department, and the Aberdeen Fire Department responded to attempt to save the female.”

The Coast Guard was notified and responded to the scene.

“Officers and firefighters could see the female hanging onto a piling in the middle of the river and eventually floating up river,” said Green. “The Coast Guard arrived and was able to recover the female nearly 40 minutes after she had entered the water.”

The Coast Guard transferred her to a waiting Aberdeen Fire Department ambulance, and she was then transported to Harbor Regional Health Community Hospital for treatment, said Green.

This was the third critical incident in less than 12 hours in Aberdeen on Thursday — a lengthy standoff with a reportedly armed man on Summit Street in East Aberdeen that began shortly after noon and, a few blocks west two hours later, a man who crawled atop and jumped from the Wishkah River Bridge.

Green said the Hoquiam Police Department handled 911 calls in Aberdeen, while the Chehalis River Bridge incident progressed. Green also thanked the public for its patience with the response to these incidents, which created some traffic backups, especially with the closure of the Wishkah River Bridge much of the afternoon.

“The safety of the public, our officers, and the subjects we are attempting to help take precedence over traffic related issues,” said Green.

“We do not take our responsibility lightly and strive to seek a peaceful resolution in these critical incidents. We are fortunately able to report all of these ended peacefully and we were able to get those in crisis the help they required, and those accountable for criminal conduct were taken into custody.”