Investigation into officer-involved shooting in APD parking lot near completion

  • Fri May 22nd, 2020 3:50pm
  • News

The investigation into the May 12 officer-involved shooting in the Aberdeen Police Department parking lot, in which an officer fired at but did not hit a man armed with a knife, is nearing completion, according to a statement from Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Brad Johansson.

“Investigators are examining evidence, completing written reports and finishing crime scene drawings,” he said. “Investigators are trying to have the case completed and released to the prosecutor’s office by May 29th, 2020.”

The man with the knife was acting erratically and came toward officers, police have said. During the incident, he was struck with a Taser. Mark David Thiroux Jr., 28, was arraigned in Grays Harbor Superior Court May 20 and remains in Grays Harbor County Jail on $100,000 bond for the charge of assault in the second degree.

Court documents detail the events that led to the confrontation May 12 inside the newly-fenced police department parking lot at the corner of East Market and North H streets.

The probable cause document filed by Prosecutor Katie Svoboda said Thiroux was acting erratically prior to the 2 p.m. incident, first while visiting a relative at a local business on East Wishkah Street, then at an apartment on East First Street. A video of Thiroux taken at the apartment reportedly showed him rant about sanity and “winning,” and includes derogatory remarks about the police.

Witnesses said Thiroux apparently took the knife he used from the apartment, according to the document.

“The defendant walked over the newly fenced police parking lot at the Aberdeen Police station,” read the document. “The defendant was banging on the windows outside the building that leads to the administration offices.”

Confronted by two officers, Thiroux was “acting belligerent and was refusing to follow commands” given by the officers, according to the report.

“The defendant brandished a large knife placing officers in reasonable fear of injury and/or death,” read the document. In response, one officer fired his gun, missing Thiroux. Another deployed a Taser — one probe entered Thiroux’s leg, another into his lip.

“One of the officers kicked the knife away from the defendant, but he continued to fight and refused to follow the officers’ verbal commands,” read the report. “Aid arrived on the scene and injected the defendant with a drug known as Haldol since he would not stop fighting their efforts to render aid. This drug calms the subject down. APD officers then secured the scene and officers from several surrounding jurisdictions responded to conduct an investigation.”

The Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation with help from the Region 3 Critical Incident Investigation Team representing the sheriff’s offices in Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Thurston and Pacific counties, along with the Washington State Patrol.