The South Beach Regional Fire Authority responded to a fire Tuesday evening started by a candle in an RV at the Totem RV and Trailer Park in Westport.
The call for a structure fire came in at 8:40 p.m, said Battalion Chief Daryl Brown, with an engine and two firefighters from SBRFA the first to arrive on scene.
“They arrived on scene in four minutes,” Brown said in a phone interview. “There was smoke and flames seen from an RV. They initiated fire attack with exposure protection.”
Firefighters attempted to link up with a hydrant that turned out to be out of service before pivoting to another hydrant to get water flowing, Brown said. Firefighters worked successfully to keep the fire from spreading to any other property, Brown said.
“There was no exposures,” Brown said. “It was limited to one RV.”
There were no injuries reported from the fire, Brown said. The fire was contained by 9:29 p.m. and extinguished by 9:49 p.m., Brown said.
The word from the occupant was that the fire began with a candle in the RV’s bathroom, Brown said. The vehicle was completely destroyed by the blaze, Brown said.
“The fire district encourages people to use other light or scent alternatives than open flame candles,” Brown said.
Contact Senior Reporter Michael S. Lockett at 757-621-1197 or firstname.lastname@example.org.