An explosion at an RV park in the 800 block of East Main Street in Elma Saturday sent two people to the hospital with burns and reduced a residence to a pile of rubble.
According to a post by the Elma Fire Department, units were at the scene of a structure fire in the 300 block of East Martin when the report of the explosion came in at 7:21 p.m.
“A unit was in route in two minutes and on the scene four minutes after that,” read the statement. “Upon arrival fire crews found an RV that had an explosion with an active fire.”
Photos from the scene at the Travel Inn RV Resort Saturday showed flames coming from the spot where the home once stood. Photos after the fire was extinguished show the devastation of the blast, which was heard and felt for miles around.
Monday morning, Kathy Hershey of Olympia said it was her mother’s place that was destroyed in the explosion, possibly caused by a gas leak.
“Both were literally catapulted into the yard, while sitting in their recliners, from the explosion,” she said. “Burns to their hands, arms and heads.”
She said both occupants, her mother and a male, were in Harborview Medical Center Monday. Her mother, she said, was in serious condition, the man “may be in critical condition.” The family did not wish to release the names of the victims Monday.
The house, said Hershey, “is a total and complete loss.”
On Facebook, Hershey said both victims were expected to remain at Harborview for at least a week, adding, “I am just glad no one else was hurt and no other homes were destroyed as well.”
Grays Harbor Fire District 5 assisted with both incidents, posting Sunday, “Great job to all who responded and got these two fires taken care of quickly minimizing any further damage.”