A smattering of tales from Aberdeen

The rains have been coming down heavier than usual of late which makes curling up with past issues of the Aberdeen Herald on a Sunday afternoon enjoyable indeed. Stories covered by the press in the days of yore show that not much has changed in Aberdeen as far as fights and drinking are concerned, except that it was much more prevalent then.

Fisherman Assaulted — Emil Anderson, a fisherman living in a shack at the foot of G Street, was badly beaten about the head and face Monday by Gust. West and Ed. Blockman, who smashed in the door to get at their victim, who was asleep when they arrived.

West and Blockman were arrested Tuesday, and taken before Judge Lanning to have a preliminary on a charge of burglary, which had been filed by Prosecuting Attorney Boner. The evidence brought out the fact that West and Blockman had been drinking Saturday night in the Anderson shack and had lost some money. They suspected Anderson of stealing it, and concluded to hammer him for satisfaction. They were committed to jail in default of a fine of $25 and costs each. — Aberdeen Herald, April 30, 1908

Beats Girl Who Jilted Him and is Arrested — Alvin Crandall was arrested last night on a charge of striking Lizzie Erickson and also taken in to custody a few hours later on a charge of stealing her clothes. The warrant for Crandall’s arrest was sworn to by Miss Erickson, who alleges that she grew tired of Crandall’s attentions and threw him down. Crandall, heart sore, met his former sweetheart on the street and gave her a shaking up. He later purloined her clothes, which she seeks to recover. — Aberdeen Herald, Sept. 28, 1911

Anderson has Change of Heart — Frank Anderson, who was badly cut about the head and hands by A.O. Eastman, as the result of arow, when Anderson kissed Eastman’s wife, has had a change of heart and will not prosecute his assailant. Eastman, becoming angered at the attention shown his wife, flew into a rage and began slashing right and left. Anderson receiving a long slash across the face. Bystanders grappled with Eastman, who threw the knife to the floor. Anderson was covered with blood when brought to the police station, and was sent immediately to the hospital for repairs. — Aberdeen Herald, Dec. 25, 1911

Two East Aberdeen women got into a row Saturday about the children, and as a result an arrest and trial followed. It appeared from the testimony that Mrs. T. Vanucie’s boy had been whipping a little orphan girl in the neighborhood, and chased her into the yard of Mrs. John Matson. Mrs. Matson says she picked up a lath and shoved the little fellow away, possibly she struck him. Mrs. Vanucie declared she hit him with a club, and had her arrested for assault and battery. She was taken before Justice McNamara when a change of venue was had to Justice Arnold, who heard the evidence and dismissed the case. — Aberdeen Herald, Oct. 4, 1894

End Comes Quickly — Autopsy Shows ‘’Whiskey Heart” Cause of Death — John Yuko, a laborer about 40 years of age, died suddenly at the White Eagle Saloon, 317 South G Street last Tuesday night from heart disease brought about by a long continued and excessive use of alcohol. The remains are at Whiteside’s morgue awaiting the result of a search for relatives, failing in which interment will take placeat county expense tomorrow.

Yuko had been employed at Cosmopolis up to Oct. 31, holding a position in the mill of the Grays Harbor Commercial Company at that place. Since the first of the month it is not believed that he has been employed anywhere, but spent most of his time around the saloons and drank almost constantly, it is said. On Tuesday he was in and out of the White Eagle many times and also visited other saloons in the vicinity. About 5 o’clock he entered the White Eagle and took a seat in a chair. Not much attention was paid to the man by the other inhabitues of the place and he sat alone in a corner, occasionally going to the bar and buying a drink.

Suddenly the men in the resort were startled to see Yuko pitch headlong from the chair to the floor. He never moved after falling and a hasty examination showed that the man was dead. The authorities were notified and Coroner Smits ordered the body removed to the morgue, where an autopsy was held later in the evening to establish the cause of death. This was proved to have been heart disease, according to the report of Deputy Coroner Flemming, who made the investigation. Yuko’s heart, stomach and liver were found to have been badly effected and an inquest was declared to be unnecessary.

While the man was not a stranger in the city, nothing is known of his relatives, and although a search is now being made it is probable that he will be buried at the expense of the county. — Aberdeen Herald, Nov. 24, 1910

Roy Vataja is the son of Finnish immigrants and hopes everyone had a happy and safe St. Patrick’s Day weekend and hopefully it did not end for you as it did for Mr. Yuko.